Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Sick again

After a couple pretty good days, I am sick again.  Everything hurts, particularly my neck, shoulders, back and hips.  I must have inadvertently eaten something I'm allergic to.  I sent Keith down to read the ingredients on the brand of pasta I bought but it wasn't that.

I made such a nice meal, too:  barbecued pork chops, homemade applesauce, a side of real gumbo with okra, and fresh pomegranate.  It was yummy.  I made Graham buttered noodles and a hamburger, since he wasn't interested in what I'd made for Keith and I.

Food allergies:

DAIRY: 
all dairy of all kinds  (I cannot have:  milk, cheese, ice cream sherbet (most contain milk))
I can have MOST sorbets (but not all--ingredients must be read)
I can have homemade coconut ice cream made with coconut milk (which is served in some Thai restaurants)
I CAN have veganrella oat cheese (available at the health food stores)

SOY:
no soy of any kind or quantity, no soy sauce, tamari sauce, tofu etc
no veggie burgers that contain soy
no soy additives such as in mayonnaise and margarine

BEANS:
I am allergic to most, if not all beans, legumes, lentils, peas etc
NUTS:
I am allergic to all tree nuts and peanuts
Margarine:
The only dairy-free, soy-free margarine I have so far been able to locate is sold only in Canada and not available in the US.  I can eat jelly, or jam, in small quantities, on toast.

What I can eat:  (lean) meat, fish, vegetables (except legumes and a few others), fruit, rice milk, oatmeal, wheatena, breads and cereals of any kind as long as they do not contain milk or soy.  Eggbeaters (but only limited amounts of eggs, a few a week).  (However, if that is all there is for breakfast, I can eat eggs).

Chinese food tends to contain a lot of soy and Italian food tends to contain a lot of cheese (as does Mexican food), so I have to be careful eating at those establishments.

If in doubt, read the ingredients.  This is harder at a restaurant.  Recently, I ordered some meatball sandwiches and asked the waitress if they contained cheese and she said no and proceeded to deliver mini meatball sandwiches with a slice of cheese in each one. 

No goat milk, either.

Those are my known allergies.  But I ate something that has made me sick.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin